Phlebotomy Instructor Certification Process
Steps to becoming an Phlebotomy Instructor
PhlebotomyInstructor.com strives to ensure that the medical professional that chooses to further their career and become a Certified Phlebotomy Instructor (CPI) has everything needed to pursue that career objective.
The prerequisites required to become a CPI at PhlebotomyInstructor.com are unique and specific to our program. Our philosophy begins with KNOWLEDGE and ends with SKILLS. Phlebotomy is considered a Vocational Skill by the educational world. Our mission at Phlebotomyinstructor.com that our CPI’s should not only have the KNOWLEDGE but the Experience and SKILLS necessary to pass their craft on to future phlebotomy technicians.
- Venipunctures-Minimum of 500 successful venipunctures.
- Work Experience-You must have five years or more work experience in the phlebotomy field.
- Education- Completion of High School or equivalent. CPR certification is preferred.
- Medical Certification- Must have current medical certification and certificate of completion from school.
Phlebotomy Instructor Certification Steps:
You must have a current medical certification as a phlebotomy professional to qualify. CPI certification demonstrates the ability to teach phlebotomy education. Certified phlebotomy instructors can work for schools, employers, and more.
Must have current certification in:
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Nurse Practitioners
- Doctors and all Ph.D.’s
Are you ready to help others learn how to become phlebotomy technicians? Applicants should consider working towards becoming a certified Phlebotomy Instructor (CPI).
To earn this certification, you must:
- Meet Prerequisites
- Complete the Phlebotomy Instructor Candidacy Process
- Pass the Phlebotomy Instructor Teach the Teacher Course
- Successfully teach a Phlebotomy Certification Workshop
- In the United States, be licensed as a Phlebotomist, Medical Assistant, Nurse or Doctor
- Instructors may not teach content or skills they are not credentialed to perform
- Participate in a Phlebotomy Instructor Certification Teach the teacher Course
- New Phlebotomy Instructors must complete the Phlebotomy Instructor Application.
- Take and pass the Phlebotomy Instructor Preparation Course
- Once you are approved as a phlebotomy instructor candidate, work with your director to prepare to teach
- Meet any other phlebotomy instructor requirements determined by the director
- Upon successful completion of instructor candidacy, your status will change to Certified Phlebotomy Instructor (CPI).
- CPI certification and phlebotomy instructor ID badge card will be issued.
- Maintain your approved phlebotomy instructor status by teaching at least one phlebotomy workshop every three months.
- Attending all phlebotomy instructor updates, as required, and maintaining current contact information with your director and our headquarters.
CPI CERTIFICATION COURSE
CPI Instructor Certification Course for medical professionals is the most popular phlebotomy education platform teaching skills phlebotomy workshops and full phlebotomy courses in the phlebotomy industry, taken by more than 500 medical professionals every year. The purpose of this phlebotomy certification course is to provide future phlebotomy instructor candidates with the basic phlebotomy training and information needed to develop as a certified phlebotomy instructor to be able to teach a full phlebotomy course.
- Understand the philosophy and history of phlebotomy education.
- Understand the concepts of adult education and learning methodologies.
- Identify and understand common classroom problems and methods for addressing them.
- Learn best practices for classroom and hybrid phlebotomy courses.
- Understand what is required to become and maintain phlebotomy instructor status.
PREPARATION COURSE DETAILED BREAKDOWN
Below is an extensive list of topics that will be covered in the phlebotomy Instructor teach the teacher course. The first part of the phlebotomy instructor certification will teach you how to teach students from A-Z. The second part of completing your phlebotomy instructor certification is the phlebotomy curriculum course.
- Definitions of Human Behavior
- Personality Types
- Instructor and Student Relationship
- Human Needs and Motivation
- Student Emotional Reactions
- Teaching the Adult Student
- The Framework for Learning
- Learning Theory
- Cognitive Theory
- Acquiring Knowledge
- Concept Learning
- Characteristics of Learning
- Learning Styles
- How To Develop Skills
- Learning Plateaus
- Evaluation Versus Critique
- Distractions and Interruptions
- Fixation and Inattention
- Scenario-Based Training
- The Learning Route to Expertise
- Reducing Errors and Learning From Errors
- Retention of Learning
- How Understanding Affects Memory
- Introduction to Effective Communication
- Instructor’s Code of Conduct
- Preparation of a Lesson
- Organization of Material
- Training Delivery Methods
- Problem-Based Learning
- Electronic Learning (E-Learning)
- Cooperative or Group Learning Method
- Application and Assessment of Lessons
- Test Preparation Skills
- Lesson Plan Learning
- Evaluation of Student Ability
- Safety Practices and Accident Prevention
- Use of Distractions
- Stress Management
- Stress Management
Once you have been approved as a phlebotomy instructor candidate, our director/mentor will send you a copy of the Phlebotomy Certification Course instructor materials so you can begin preparing.
BEFORE THE COURSE
Assemble a full phlebotomy instructor workshop and course/curriculum and work with the director to get permission to conduct phlebotomy workshops and phlebotomy full courses. You must be officially listed on the instructor team as a instructor candidate for a specific phlebotomy course prior to teaching during that course. If you are not officially listed and you participate as a phlebotomy instructor applicant, it will jeopardize your phlebotomy instructor candidacy and the validity of the certification for all students participating in that course.
Next, you will need to review the evaluation and expectations with your director/mentor before the course begins. You will gain access to our CANVAS education portal that includes full instructor phlebotomy curriculum, phlebotomy PowerPoint presentations, phlebotomy in-class activities, phlebotomy quizzes, and lecture notes. You will work with your director as you study the phlebotomy curriculum and prepare to teach.
DURING THE COURSE
CPI candidates must complete the full phlebotomy instructor teach the teacher course, including all phlebotomy course instructor meetings and conference calls. It is the shared responsibility of the director and the phlebotomy instructor candidate to be sure assignments are completed. All assignments for the Phlebotomy Instructor Certification will be monitored and evaluated by the director(s) and should include as many aspects of the phlebotomy course as possible (teaching, set up, testing, etc.).
TEACHING RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PHLEBOTOMY INSTRUCTOR CANDIDATES INCLUDE:
- Lecture for at least 120 hours, divided among at least three modules
- Set up a hands-on exercise (classroom or vehicle)
- Be the lead for a different hands-on exercise
- Participate in a community seat checkup event
For skills assessments, phlebotomy instructor candidates may sign off or grade students under the supervision of your director using your Phlebotomy Instructor Certification ID (#). Your director will co-sign all paperwork.
At the end of each week, your director will evaluate your work. All feedback from the phlebotomy instructor team is funneled through the mdirectors(s) to you. Phlebotomy Instructor directors will make every effort to help improve your teaching skills.
AFTER THE COURSE
At the end of the course, the director will provide the evaluation to the phlebotomy instructor Board of Directors, who will make the final desion to accept you as an certified phlebotomy instructor. Your director, the Phlebotomy Instructor Board and you should keep a copy.
Upon successful completion of phlebotomy instructor candidacy, your status will become “Certified Phlebotomy Instructor (CPI)” and you will begin a new two-year certification cycle. Phlebotomy Instructor will mail your official notification letter with your newly-issued instructor certification ID within 14 business days after the course has been finalized.
If you do not earn a passing grade, work with the phlebotomy instructor team to improve your skills and please try again. If you do not become a certified instructor within six months, your status will revert from Instructor Candidate to Certified Technician.
Phlebotomyinstructor.com wants to help ensure a positive experience for all phlebotomy instructor candidates. Phlebotomy Instructor will not accept appeals based on missed deadlines, but you may file a written complaint about an instructor, teaching environment, or other issues.
Upon receiving your phlebotomy instructor certification (CPI), you must check with your state’s board of education before conducting any education classes. Phlebotomy Instructor is an independent credentialing agency. We specialize in teaching and certifying phlebotomy instructors.
Diana Garza, EdD, MLS (ASCP) CM, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Kathleen Becan-McBride, EdD, MLS (ASCP) CM, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
For all phlebotomy programs in programs for Medical/Clinical Research laboratory Researchers, Medical Lab Technicians, Phlebotomists, Medical Assistants, Nurse Assistants, and Professional Medical Assistants; and also other health and wellness career curricula.
Phlebotomy Handbook, Ninth Edition links health care pupils and providers to the most up to date details, procedures, skills, criteria, and also tools for safe, reliable blood collection. Its materials have chosen as well as arranged to improve analysis as well as healing lab screening through far better pre-exam blood collection knowledge. Beginning straightforward, it constructs to significantly complex competencies, covering all the critical interaction, clinical, technical, as well as security abilities that healthcare professionals need. This edition ultimately shows the most up to date guidelines from the Clinical and Lab Criteria Institute (CLSI) as well as the National Accrediting Company for Professional Research Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), with references to worldwide requirements as appropriate. It likewise reflects an also stronger concentrate on individual and healthcare provider security.
Upgraded elements, procedure, techniques, and even safety preventative measures throughout Thoroughly shows the current CLSI and also NAACLS criteria, as well as the most up to date study, methods, and developments in phlebotomy as well as sampling collection.
In-depth focus on safety for both the patient and the healthcare provider: Have multiple functions created to promote safer blood and sampling collection. Develops much faster as well as intuitive discovering for trainees with a broad spectrum of histories as well as phlebotomy expertise.